Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Sing a happy working song


I'm only two coats of Helmsman varnish away from a refreshed bit of wood in the salon. Isn't it funny how a 'small' job can grow to a monster? I had to strip and sand out the teak and mahogany bulkhead and trim around Aidan's pilot berth due to a small but persistant leak in the porthole above his head. We replaced the ports last year but this wood problem remained. So, I thought, it's a little job, why don't I just keep going and do the rest of the bulkhead. Hey, while I'm at it, why don't I just tag on the handrails running the length of the salon...hey, if I do that I have to do the trim along the settees, .....

Four weeks later and finally the end is almost in sight. What was I thinking? Forget the romance of wood interior. Bring on the plastic.

Mind you, I decided that while working on the boat with my extremely patient, wonderful husband, that I had the better job. He was replacing all the hoses feeding the holding tank - the, um, misshapen stainless tank (see earlier post) that holds our unmentionables until we get it pumped out. This includes reattaching a sensor to tell warn us when the holding tank is reaching capacity (really, a very civilized device) and a see-through bit of hose in order to ensure that the tank is cleaned out after a pump-out and a wash.

He tends to turn on music really loud and sing even louder to see him through such jobs. So far, it's working. Considering the amount of work ahead in the, well, head, I bought him satellite radio for Father's Day.

No comments:

Followers