Thursday, March 10, 2011

Oh yeah, I remember feeling stressed....

Before we left to go on this trip, I honestly didn't think I'd make it. Our lives were a hectic whirlwind of sailing school volunteering, church volunteering, work work, driving kids, cleaning house, caring for cat and of course, due to my mid-life crisis I headed back to school and contemplated a career change.

All the while we're trying to figure out what to take on the boat and how the heck we were going to manage.

Those stresses are forgotten now - it's different in a cruising lifestyle. There aren't the usual stresses of life at home, but there are stresses.

However this week I had a taste of that old panic-strickness. Reg is signed up to take a Canadian Yachting class which we didn't realize needed a big bandwidth, much more than my more little blackberry-as-modem can handle. On top of that he's taking two online high school classes. We also need the computers and internet for weather, etc. Then the our new PC laptop couldn't handle the demands and crashed.

We had loaded up the old PC laptop and so it was handling things OK until we got to nowhere this week at Children's Bay Cay and it decided to disconnect the Blackberry as a modem. For two days we stewed and fretted. I lost sleep. I got up at 6 am. and started in on the old PC. Five hours later I did a system restore and it finally got working - for a day. Meanwhile we decided to reset the entire new PC with its startup disk (I had packed it but forgotten about it - Scott found it, bless him). It did reset the computer but we lost most of our precious photos and it still seemed wonky.

Today I finally got the new one almost back to itself - time will tell if we can get this Blackberry working properly as a modem - critical for Reg's courses. And we're at Emerald Bay again for its great Internet signal for his CYA course.

I'd rather not have that stress again thank you. Let me go back to just figuring out weather fronts and how to navigate the next cut to the ocean and whether or not the bread has risen enough.

Speaking of weather, incredibly beautiful here - cool nights, warm days but lots of challenges in the forecast.

For now though, I'll trundle off to the laundry room here - geez we love this marina...

No comments:

Followers